Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Cavan Townlands | July 21, 2017

Scroll to top

Top

No Comments

Behy

AKA Behe, Bey, Behoe

1609. One of the earliest recorded instances of the townland of Behy occurs in the Bodley map of 1609. A series of detailed townland maps was prepared for the plantation of the six escheated (forfeited) counties. The map in question is of the barony of Tullyhunco which covers the parishes of Kildallan, Killeshandra and Scrabby. The barony was split into seven proportions or estates and Behy became one of the polls/townlands of the newly formed proportion of Carrotubber. This estate was granted to Sir Alexander Hamilton from Scotland in 1610. Click here to see the Carrotubber estate map as surveyed in 1609 and the present day townland map of the area. I have givenĀ  Behe (Behy) the reference number CT1.

1629. Ulster Inquisitions. Behe (Behy) appears in the Ulster Inquisitions of 1629 and further information on the smaller subdivisions of land known as parcells is listed here.

1663. Hearth Money Rolls. Behy is spelt BEY in this list of householders who paid a tax of two shillings per hearth. The names listed are: Calbert Dickson, John Wright, Turlogh McCarmine and Margaret McCarmine.

1709. List of Carvaghs inĀ  the County of Cavan indicates Behoe (Behy) to consist of 5 Carvaghs. The Carvagh was a taxable area of land in the region of approximately 35 acres. The Carvagh system which was adopted in 1699 appears to be peculiar to County Cavan. The word Carvagh signifies a share and survives in some townland names to this day.

1832. Tithe Applottment Books. Search records using Behoe.

1841. Census. We are fortunate that the townlands of the parish of Killeshandra are the only remaining fragments of the 1841 Census of the entire country. These unique records give a detailed picture of the population of the parish down to the individual names, age and occupations of the persons enumerated in each household.

1857. Griffith’s Valuation.

 

 

Submit a Comment