1836 Name Book records for the townlands of 9 parishes first published in The Heart of Breifne.
The preparation of the six inch to one mile scale maps of the entire island of Ireland, which was conducted by The Ordnance Survey of Ireland between 1824 and 1846, required the naming of townlands, geographical features, prominent buildings and landmarks. The renowned Irish scholar, John O’Donovan, was given the task of ascertaining accurately the old Irish names of the townlands, their translation and making recommendations for the final English version to be used in the printed maps. This he did with great skill and attention to detail. He visited Cavan in 1836 and his travels are recorded in his Ordnance Survey Letters which were reports and requests written to the OS headquarters in the Phoenix Park. The orthography section of the Name Books include the received name, the final agreed name and translations as well as other versions which were encountered. The final section of the field name books under the headings ‘Situation’ and ‘Descriptive Remarks’ typically provide details on the exact location and description of boundaries along with notes on soils, farming practices, leases and rents, prominent buildings, employment and landlord names. Here we reproduce, courtesy of Anna Sexton editor of The Heart of Breifne, the summarised Descriptive Remarks which were transcribed by Liam O’Ceallaigh and published over the years 1979-1987. The nine parishes covered are: Bailieborough, Castlerahan, Crosserlough, Denn, Killinkere, Knockbride, Lavey, Munterconnaught and Shercock.
The primary valuation of Ireland, or Griffith’s Valuation, which was carried out between 1848 and 1864, to determine liability to pay the Poor rate (a tax for the support of the poor within each Poor Law Union) provides detailed information on where people lived and the property they possessed.
Browse the entire list of Griffith’s Valuation of 1857 records for Cavan. Filter by parish, townland and name. For additional data (image of original ledger and maps), visit Griffith’s Valuation (askaboutireland.ie).
Please bear with us if this page is slow to load – there are nearly thirty thousand records
This dataset includes the names of the landowners mostly. There are a few exceptions where tenants’ names are included. These appear in the barony of Tullyhaw and include the parishes of Drumreilly, Killinagh, Kinawley, Templeport and Tomregan. Browse the entire list of Commonwealth Survey of 1652 records for Cavan. Filter by parish, townland and proprietor. Click on a parish to see colour-coded map of estates within the parish.
Tithes were a tax imposed on tenant farmers by the established church, the Church of Ireland. This was the main source of income for the clergy and was calculated based on the agricultural potential of the land holdings which were typically categorised in three classes related to yield, and covered both tillage and pasture land. The books are indexed by civil parish which can differ in name and location from Catholic parishes. Originally the tax was levied in kind, but this cumbersome method was replaced by the Tithe composition acts of Parliament in 1823 and 1832 which converted the tithe into a single, fixed charge on the land. The information recorded includes the names of the tenants and the breakdown of the land holding by size, quality and the tax to be levied. In some cases, the landlord is mentioned. It must be borne in mind that this tax was not applied evenly and many exemptions and omissions mean that it is an incomplete record of tenants and their lands.
We highly recommend that any search carried out using the table below must be understood in the context of the original source data. Click on the button below to see our guide to finding and understanding the images of the original Tithe Applotment Books and the issues raised in their transcription.