Cavan Town

Hover over a townland to see the name. Click on a townland to see the details.


NameCavan
Irish NameAn Cabhán
Logainm ID1165586
CountyCavan
BaronyLoughtee Upper
ParishUrney
Typetown

Cavan Town map
Cavan Town 1883

CensusPopulationHouses
18212322344
18312931441
18413749555
18513037493
18613209522
18713389535
18813050496
18912968526
19012822554
19112961557

Lewis 1837

CAVAN, an incorporated market and post-town, (formerly a parliamentary borough) in the parish of URNEY, barony of UPPER LOUGHTEE, county of CAVAN (of which it is the chief town), and province of ULSTER, 25½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Enniskillen, and 55 (N. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 2931 inhabitants. This town was, from a period of remote antiquity, the seat of the O’Reillys, tanists of the district now forming the county to which it gives name, and who had a castle here, of which there are no other remains than some vaults and part of the foundation. A monastery for friars of the order of St. Dominick was founded here in 1300, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by Giolla-Jisoa-Ruadh O’Reilly, dynast of Breffny; but about the year 1393, the monks were expelled by the same sept, and others of the Franciscan order substituted in their place. In 1468 the monastery, and Bally-Reilly, the castle above noticed, were burnt.by the English under the Lord-Deputy Tiptoft, Earl of Worcester; but the former appears to have been restored previously to the year 1499, and to have been occupied by friars of the order of the Strict Observance. It was again reformed by John, son of Cahal O’Reilly, in 1502, and provincial chapters of the order were held in it in 1521, 1539, and 1556. Owen O’Nial, the celebrated general of the Irish army, who died by poison, as is supposed, at Cloughoughter, was buried in this abbey, in 1649. There are no remains of the establishment, which was commonly called Keadue; the tithes now belong to the Dean of Kilmore, and in his title are described as ‘the rectory of Keadue.’

In the early part of the reign of Jas. I., the lord-deputy pitched his tent to the south of the town, which is described as being a very unimportant place, for the purpose of reducing this part of the country to the observance of English laws and customs. Under the partition of lands made pursuant to an inquisition as stated in the article on the county, ten poles were allotted to the town of Cavan, which the king proposed to incorporate; ten poles to the castle, and 14 to the maintenance of a free school to be erected in the town. In 1610, Jas. I. granted the inhabitants a charter of incorporation, in the preamble of which it is stated that the town was the only place of trade in the county, and the only town where the justices could conveniently meet for their assize and gaol delivery, and that the inhabitants during the late insurrection, had supplied the garrison and performed good and acceptable service to Queen Elizabeth, from time to time, according to their best abilities. The commissioners for the plantation of Ulster reserved and set out eight poles of land, adjoining the town, to be granted to the new corporation; and the charter constituted the town and all lands within the compass of one mile from the stone house or castle in which Walter Bradie then dwelt, with the exception of the castle of ‘the Cavan,’ or O’Reilly’s castle, and the two poles of land called Rosgolyan, the Borough of Cavan. This place was the scene of some skirmishing in the time of Cromwell, and till very lately a house was standing in the principal street, in which he is said to have resided for several weeks. In 1690, some of the forces of Jas. II., having assembled here for the purpose of attacking Belturbet, the Enniskilleners, under their victorious leader Wolsey, marched hither with a view to take them by surprise; but the Duke of Berwick having arrived with a considerable reinforcement, they had, with a force of only 1000 men, to contend with 4000 of the enemy. Wolsey, however, attacking them with spirit, the native forces of James fled at the first onset, when the Enniskilleners burst into the town and began to plunder it; those who had fled to the fort now sallied out to renew the engagement. Wolsey, as the only means of recalling his men, set fire to the town, and having rallied his forces, completed the victory with great slaughter. Human bones have been found in great numbers on the side of the hill overhanging the town, where the battle took place.

The town is situated on the road from Dublin to Enniskillen, and consists of several streets, of which the principal contains some well-built houses; there are infantry barracks capable of accommodating six officers and 130 non-commissioned officers and privates. A. large garden, handsomely laid out in walks and planted, was left by the will of the late Lady Farnham, under certain restrictions, as a promenade for the inhabitants. Though in the midst of a manufacturing district, there is little trade carried on. The market, originally granted in the 1st of Jas. I. to John Binglie, gent., and subsequently by the charter of the 8th of Jas. I. to the corporation, is on Tuesday, but is chiefly for potatoes and meal; a very small quantity of yarn is brought for sale. Fairs, chiefly for young cattle and horses, are held on Feb. 1st, April 4th, May 14th, June 30th, Aug. 14th, Sept. 25th, and Nov. 12th, and a chief constabulary police force has been established here. Farnham, the seat of Lord Farnham, is one of the noblest ornaments of the county, for though the house does not possess much exterior magnificence, it is surrounded by a demesne of nearly 3000 acres, comprising the richest pastures and the greatest variety of scenery, adorned with wood and water, and everywhere improved by art. Lough Oughter, on one side of it, spreads out from under the woods of Killy, and encircles many beautiful islands crowned with the finest timber. One of these, named Cloughoughter, was the place of confinement of the venerable Bishop Bedell, when in the hands of the insurgents, in the war of 1641: the tower in which he was imprisoned is now a fine ruin. Nearly adjoining the demesne is Castle Saunderson, the seat of A. Saunderson, Esq., surrounded by a luxuriant demesne commanding the most beautiful views of Lough Erne. Clover Hill, an excellent mansion, the seat of J. Sanderson, Esq., has also a very beautiful demesne, richly adorned, and bordered by a spacious lake. Under the charter of Jas. I., the corporation consists of a sovereign, two portreeves, twelve burgesses, and an indefinite number of freemen, assisted by a recorder, town-clerk, and other officers. But the regular appointment of these officers has been discontinued for several years; the sovereign and deputy are stationary in office, and are now the only representatives of the corporation. The town and the lands enumerated in the charter are held at a fee-farm rent of £1 English currency per annum. The same charter conferred the privilege of returning two members to the Irish parliament, which was exercised till the period of the Union, when £15,000 awarded as compensation for the abolition of the franchise was paid in moieties to Theophilus Clements and T. Nesbitt, Esqrs. The charter granted to the corporation a borough court of record, to be held before the sovereign and two or more burgesses, every three weeks; but this court has not been held since 1796. The assizes, and the Hilary and Midsummer quarter sessions, are held here; petty sessions are also held every week. The county court-house is a fine spacious building, with a portico in front. The county gaol is a very spacious building, to which additions have been recently made on the radiating principle; it contains in the whole 68 cells, 8 day-rooms, and 10 airing-yards, in one of which is a tread-mill, and is well adapted for the classification of prisoners; a good school has been established in it. The average number of prisoners is 120; and the whole expense of the gaol, for 1835, was £1190. 3. 5½.

The parish church of Urney is situated in the town. The R. C. chapel, erected in 1824, at an expense of £1000, is a neat building; over the altar is a painting of the Descent from the Cross. On the confines of the town is a classical school of royal foundation, under the charter of the 2nd of Chas. I., which vested several townlands in the counties of Armagh, Cavan, Fermanagh, Donegal, and Tyrone, in the primate and his successors in trust for the endowment of schools in each of those counties. By a late act of parliament the management has been transferred to a Board of Commissioners of Education: the nomination of master rests with the lord-lieutenant. The school-house, erected in 1819, at an expense of £800, is a spacious building; calculated for the reception of 100 pupils, and beautifully situated on a lawn bounded by a branch of the Erne, and surrounded with an amphitheatre of hills. The income arising from the endowment is £641. 13. 5. per annum, out of which the master receives a salary of £400, and the remainder is appropriated to the repayment of a loan from Government for the buildings. Several parochial and Sunday schools are supported by subscriptions; and a handsome school-house has been erected in the town, in which a school is supported by Lord Farnham. The count infirmary is a plain building capable of receiving 52 patients. There is an almshouse for a poor widow, supported by private subscription. In Swellan lake, about a quarter of a mile from the town, have been found, at different times, some of the largest horns of the elk that have been discovered in Ireland. The celebrated Dr. Sheridan, the friend and correspondent of Dean Swift, was for many years master of the royal school of this place, and was frequently honoured with visits from the dean; a bower in the garden, called Swift’s bower, is still in existence.-See URNEY.


Tithe Applotment Books of 1824-1834

Tithe Applotment Books of 1832

Tithes were a tax imposed on tenant farmers by the established church, the Church of Ireland. This was the main ...
Read More
TownlandTownland Name 1832SurnameForenameYear
CavanCainArmstrongRobt1826
CavanCainBabingtonJno1826
CavanCainBellWm1826
CavanCainBlighThos1826
CavanCainBradyPeter1826
CavanCainBradyPeter1826
CavanCainCarsonWm1826
CavanCainDarbyThos1826
CavanCainDolanThomas1826
CavanCainFitzpatrickJno1826
CavanCainFloodTerce1826
CavanCainHouseCounty1826
CavanCainInnBoot1826
CavanCainKeoughJohn1826
CavanCainLindsumEdwd1826
CavanCainLynchMat1826
CavanCainMaguireWm1826
CavanCainMartinGeo1826
CavanCainMarvinRobt1826
CavanCainMc CabeEdwd1826
CavanCainMc CaffertyJim1826
CavanCainMc CardlePatt1826
CavanCainMc CreeryMichl1826
CavanCainMc DonaldDoctor1826
CavanCainMckeonFelix1826
CavanCainMurrayDan1826
CavanCainOfTenements1826
CavanCainParkerJames1826
CavanCainPattersonRobt1826
CavanCainPhillipsChas1826
CavanCainPhillipsChas1826
CavanCainQuinnPhil1826
CavanCainReillyChas1826
CavanCainReillyP1826
CavanCainReillyPat1826
CavanCainReillyThos1826
CavanCainReynoldsChas1826
CavanCainReynoldsGiles1826
CavanCainRossThomas1826
CavanCainScottDan1826
CavanCainSmithPeter1826
CavanCainStewartWm1826
CavanCainWalkerWm1826
CavanCainWardFras1826
CavanCainWhittensonWm1826
CavanCavanBartleyLuke1826
CavanCavanBaxterMark1826
CavanCavanBradyJohn1826
CavanCavanBradyPhil1826
CavanCavanBrady1826
CavanCavanCarrollJohn1826
CavanCavanCastles1826
CavanCavanChadwick1826
CavanCavanClintonFras1826
CavanCavanDavisRichd1826
CavanCavanDelahunt1826
CavanCavanDivineBryan1826
CavanCavanDoolan1826
CavanCavanFitzgerald1826
CavanCavanGallagharPat1826
CavanCavanHanlonThos1826
CavanCavanHeslipJno1826
CavanCavanHigginbothaneH1826
CavanCavanLemonThos1826
CavanCavanMagauranJas1826
CavanCavanMartin1826
CavanCavanMastersonPat1826
CavanCavanMccabeJames1826
CavanCavanMcdowellThos1826
CavanCavanMckennaAndw1826
CavanCavanMooreWm1826
CavanCavanMoore1826
CavanCavanMortonJohn1826
CavanCavanMoyJohn1826
CavanCavanMurrayJno1826
CavanCavanObrienJas1826
CavanCavanParr1826
CavanCavanPhilipsEdwd1826
CavanCavanRaffertyBernd1826
CavanCavanReillyChas1826
CavanCavanReillyJas1826
CavanCavanReillyJno1826
CavanCavanReillyPeter1826
CavanCavanRutherfordJohn1826
CavanCavanSadlerRobt1826
CavanCavanSmithJames1826
CavanCavanSmithPeter1826
CavanCavanTilsonAlexr1826
CavanCavanWardFras1826
CavanCavanWhiteJohn1826
CavanCavanWilsonEdwd1826
CavanCavanWiltonThomas1826
CavanCavan TownBabingtonM1826
CavanCavan TownBeleMrs1826
CavanCavan TownBiggin1826
CavanCavan TownBlackWm1826
CavanCavan TownBligh1826
CavanCavan TownBradyHugh1826
CavanCavan TownBrady1826
CavanCavan TownBravenderWm1826
CavanCavan TownClemingerWm1826
CavanCavan TownCollinsThos1826
CavanCavan TownCoyleBiddy1826
CavanCavan TownCulvin1826
CavanCavan TownCustulow1826
CavanCavan TownDavisJohn1826
CavanCavan TownDermott1826
CavanCavan TownFarnham1826
CavanCavan TownFergusonThos1826
CavanCavan TownFitzgeraldRobert1826
CavanCavan TownGollagherWm1826
CavanCavan TownGrahamFras1826
CavanCavan TownHowes1826
CavanCavan TownInfirmary Yard1826
CavanCavan TownJohnstoneIas1826
CavanCavan TownJohnstone1826
CavanCavan TownMageeJohn1826
CavanCavan TownMarket House & Co1826
CavanCavan TownMccabeG1826
CavanCavan TownMccabe1826
CavanCavan TownMcenernyWm1826
CavanCavan TownMooreChas1826
CavanCavan TownMurrayRose1826
CavanCavan TownNewmanRobt1826
CavanCavan TownNultyPat1826
CavanCavan TownNultyPat1826
CavanCavan TownO'BrienDennis1826
CavanCavan TownParkerJames1826
CavanCavan TownParr1826
CavanCavan TownPleasure Ground1826
CavanCavan TownPreaching House And Yard1826
CavanCavan TownRayRobt1826
CavanCavan TownReillyEdwd1826
CavanCavan TownReillyJohn1826
CavanCavan TownReillyJohn1826
CavanCavan TownReillyMargt1826
CavanCavan TownReynoldsRobt1826
CavanCavan TownReynolds1826
CavanCavan TownRoe1826
CavanCavan TownSchool House Yard1826
CavanCavan TownSheridanThos1826
CavanCavan TownSmithJames1826
CavanCavan TownStewartSaml1826
CavanCavan TownSwanzySaml1826
CavanCavan TownTravers1826
CavanCavan TownTrimbleWm1826
CavanCavan TownVictoryOwen1826
CavanCavan TownArmstrongRobt1828
CavanCavan TownBabingtonMichael1828
CavanCavan TownBacterMark1828
CavanCavan TownBarrick1828
CavanCavan TownBartleyLuke1828
CavanCavan TownBeggen1828
CavanCavan TownBellWm1828
CavanCavan TownBlackWm1828
CavanCavan TownBligh1828
CavanCavan TownBradyHugh1828
CavanCavan TownBradyJn1828
CavanCavan TownBradyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownBradyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownBradyPatt1828
CavanCavan TownBradyPeter1828
CavanCavan TownBradyPhill1828
CavanCavan TownBrady1828
CavanCavan TownBrady1828
CavanCavan TownBravenderWm1828
CavanCavan TownBrice1828
CavanCavan TownBurrowes1828
CavanCavan TownCalven1828
CavanCavan TownCarollJohn1828
CavanCavan TownCarrollJohn1828
CavanCavan TownCartyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownCastles1828
CavanCavan TownChetwickWm1828
CavanCavan TownClancyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownClemengerWm1828
CavanCavan TownClintonFras1828
CavanCavan TownCollinsThos1828
CavanCavan TownCowanRobt1828
CavanCavan TownCoyleBeddy1828
CavanCavan TownCreightonPatt1828
CavanCavan TownCustulow1828
CavanCavan TownDelahunt1828
CavanCavan TownDerbyThos1828
CavanCavan TownDevineBryan1828
CavanCavan TownDevine1828
CavanCavan TownDevisJohn1828
CavanCavan TownDevisRichd1828
CavanCavan TownDolanJas1828
CavanCavan TownDolanPatt1828
CavanCavan TownDolanThos1828
CavanCavan TownDonellyThos1828
CavanCavan TownDoolan1828
CavanCavan TownDowdleL1828
CavanCavan TownEskoneW1828
CavanCavan TownFarmham1828
CavanCavan TownFitzgeraldRobt1828
CavanCavan TownFitzgerald1828
CavanCavan TownFitzgerald1828
CavanCavan TownFitzgeraldsWm1828
CavanCavan TownFitzpatrickJs1828
CavanCavan TownForsler1828
CavanCavan TownFravers1828
CavanCavan TownGalagherPatt1828
CavanCavan TownGalagherWm1828
CavanCavan TownGiles1828
CavanCavan TownGoodhand1828
CavanCavan TownGrahamFras1828
CavanCavan TownHanlanThos1828
CavanCavan TownHeslipJohn1828
CavanCavan TownHoganHenry1828
CavanCavan TownHowes1828
CavanCavan TownJohnsonJas1828
CavanCavan TownJohnson1828
CavanCavan TownKeoghJohn1828
CavanCavan TownKeoghWm1828
CavanCavan TownLendramEdwd1828
CavanCavan TownLennonThos1828
CavanCavan TownLowdenJane1828
CavanCavan TownLowdenJohn1828
CavanCavan TownLynchMatt1828
CavanCavan TownMagaughranBd1828
CavanCavan TownMagauranJas1828
CavanCavan TownMagerJohn1828
CavanCavan TownMagrathLuke1828
CavanCavan TownMaguireWm1828
CavanCavan TownMartinGeorge1828
CavanCavan TownMartinJohn1828
CavanCavan TownMartin1828
CavanCavan TownMastersonPatt1828
CavanCavan TownMc Dermott1828
CavanCavan TownMcardlePatt1828
CavanCavan TownMccabeEdwd1828
CavanCavan TownMccabeJas1828
CavanCavan TownMccabe1828
CavanCavan TownMccaffryJas1828
CavanCavan TownMccall1828
CavanCavan TownMccormickJohn1828
CavanCavan TownMccreedyMichl1828
CavanCavan TownMcdonell1828
CavanCavan TownMcdowellThos1828
CavanCavan TownMcenernyWm1828
CavanCavan TownMcfadden1828
CavanCavan TownMckennaAndrew1828
CavanCavan TownMckeonFelix1828
CavanCavan TownMcmahonJane1828
CavanCavan TownMcmanusBernd1828
CavanCavan TownMcmanusTerence1828
CavanCavan TownMcnameeFrank1828
CavanCavan TownMcnameeGeorge1828
CavanCavan TownMeganbothornThos1828
CavanCavan TownMerrinJas1828
CavanCavan TownMewinRobt1828
CavanCavan TownMooreChas1828
CavanCavan TownMooreWm1828
CavanCavan TownMoore1828
CavanCavan TownMorrowPatt1828
CavanCavan TownMuligan1828
CavanCavan TownMurrayJohn1828
CavanCavan TownMurrayRose1828
CavanCavan TownMurray1828
CavanCavan TownNaultyPatt1828
CavanCavan TownNautlyPatt1828
CavanCavan TownNewnanRobt1828
CavanCavan TownObrienDennis1828
CavanCavan TownObrienJas1828
CavanCavan TownOwensWm1828
CavanCavan TownParkerJas1828
CavanCavan TownParkerJas1828
CavanCavan TownParr1828
CavanCavan TownParr1828
CavanCavan TownPattersonRobt1828
CavanCavan TownPhillipsChas1828
CavanCavan TownPhillipsEdwd1828
CavanCavan TownQuinPhill1828
CavanCavan TownRaffertyBerd1828
CavanCavan TownReellyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownReillyChas1828
CavanCavan TownReillyChas1828
CavanCavan TownReillyEdwd1828
CavanCavan TownReillyJas1828
CavanCavan TownReillyJn1828
CavanCavan TownReillyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownReillyMargt1828
CavanCavan TownReillyP1828
CavanCavan TownReillyPatt1828
CavanCavan TownReillyPeter1828
CavanCavan TownReillyThos1828
CavanCavan TownReynoldsChas1828
CavanCavan TownReynoldsRobt1828
CavanCavan TownReynolds1828
CavanCavan TownRoe1828
CavanCavan TownRossThos1828
CavanCavan TownRoyJohn1828
CavanCavan TownRoyRobt1828
CavanCavan TownRutherfordJn1828
CavanCavan TownSadlerRobt1828
CavanCavan TownScottWm1828
CavanCavan TownShambles1828
CavanCavan TownShendanThos1828
CavanCavan TownSmithJas1828
CavanCavan TownSmithJas1828
CavanCavan TownSmithPeter1828
CavanCavan TownSmithTerence1828
CavanCavan TownSmithWm1828
CavanCavan TownStuartSaml1828
CavanCavan TownStuartWm1828
CavanCavan TownSwansySaml1828
CavanCavan TownTernyBernd1828
CavanCavan TownTheghsWm1828
CavanCavan TownTrembleWm1828
CavanCavan TownTugmanThos1828
CavanCavan TownVictoryOwen1828
CavanCavan TownWalkerWm1828
CavanCavan TownWardFrancis1828
CavanCavan TownWardFras1828
CavanCavan TownWhetentonWm1828
CavanCavan TownWhiteJohn1828
CavanCavan TownWilsonAlex1828
CavanCavan TownWilsonEdwd1828
CavanCavan TownWiltonThos1828
CavanCounty HouseBabingtonJohn1828
CavanCounty HouseBell1828
CavanCounty HouseBleghThos1828
CavanCounty HouseCarsonWm1828
CavanCounty HouseHoodTerence1828
TownlandTownland Name 1832SurnameForenameYear

Name Books of 1836

No records found


Griffith’s Valuation of 1857

 

Griffith’s Valuation of 1857

The primary valuation of Ireland, or Griffith's Valuation, which was carried out between 1848 and 1864, to determine liability to pay the Poor rate (a tax for the support of ...
Read More