The lack of progress and the reports coming back to London of the undertakers neglecting their duties led to the investigation and survey by Captain Nicholas Pynnar in 1618/19. The exact date of the survey was from 1st December 1618 to 28th March 1619. Pynnar personally had been granted lands in Tullyhaw creating the manor of Pynnar. His brief was to establish how many families were planted, what buildings had been erected, how prepared they were to defend their estates, how much land was still occupied by the native Irish and to clarify other areas of concern.
Pynnar makes some interesting notes on progress in each of the Precincts including Castlerahin:
Captain Culme is to build a town called Virginia, for which he is allowed 250 acres. Upon this he hath built 8 timber houses, and put into them 8 English tenants; of which town there is a Minister which keepeth school, and is a very good preacher.
A number of native Irish are listed in this survey in the Precincts of Castlerahin, Tullaghgarvy, Clonemahown and Tullagha which were allotted to Servitors and Natives. Hill (George Hill, An historical account of the Plantation in Ulster at the commencement of the seventeenth century 1608-1620. (Belfast 1877) covers Pynnar’s survey comprehensively by barony as follows:
The Precinct of Loghtee (Loughtee Upr & Lr) P.460
The Precinct of Tullaghconche (Tullyhunco) P.469
The Precinct of Clanchie (Clankee) P.451
The Precinct of Tullagha (Tullyhaw) P.473
The Precinct of Clonemahown (Clanmahon) P.468
The Precinct of Castlerahin (Castlerahan) P.457
The Precinct of Tullaghgarvy (Tullygarvey) P.458
Hunter’s commentary on Pynnar’s survey relevant to Cavan is also detailed and worth consulting. (R.J. Hunter, The Ulster Plantation in the Counties of Armagh and Cavan, 1608-41 (Belfast, 2012), pp. 114-126)
The extract below covers the barony of Tullyhunco which includes the parishes of Kildallan, Killeshandra and Scrabby.