SHERCOCK, or KILLAN, a parish, in the barony of CLONKEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Carrickmacross, on the road from Kingscourt to Cootehill; containing 4845 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 8221 statute acres: the land, in general good, is chiefly under tillage, producing crops of oats, potatoes and flax. On the townland of Glasleck, about two miles south of the village and contiguous to the Bailieborough road, appears a thick stratum of coal of a very sulphureous quality, also iron ore, but neither is worked: here are several quarries of good building stone. The village, which comprises 82 houses, has a penny post to Carrickmacross, and is a constabulary police station; a manorial court is occasionally held here, for the recovery of debts under 40s., and petty sessions on alternate Thursdays. There is a market for flax, poultry, and pigs every Wednesday; and a corn market every Saturday: and fairs, where horses, cows, sheep, asses, and goats are exposed for sale, take place on the second Wednesday of every month. The weaving of coarse linen was formerly carried on here to a great extent, but of late years it has considerably diminished. Lough Sillan, or Swillan, is a fine sheet of water, some miles in circumference, and surrounded by picturesque hills formerly clothed with wood: on the north its shores are planted, and on the south the ground is elevated and covered with corn fields, the view of the whole being bounded by high hills. The gentlemen’s seats are Shenan, the residence of E. Wilson, Esq.; Northlands, of Dean Adams; and the Glebe-house, of the Rev. F. Fitzpatrick. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £193. 16. 11. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1819; the glebe comprises 292¾ acres, valued at £406 per annum. The church adds much to the appearance of the village; it was built about 50 years since, and a tower has been recently added to it. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to 48 townlands of Bailieborough parish, being the ancient parish of Killan, by which name it is still called in the R. C. church: the chapel is at Kilcrossbawn. The parish school is nearly supported by the Incumbent, who lately built the school-house, in which about 60 children are taught; another is supported by Mr. Singleton, at Kilcrossbawn; and there are also four private schools, in which are about 330 children, and two Sunday schools. This is the birthplace of the Rt. Hon. Richard Brinsley Sheridan, whose family resided here.
Tithe Applotment Books of 1824-1834
Name Books of 1836
No records found
Griffith’s Valuation of 1857
Parishes in Cavan
Annagelliff Annagh Bailieborough Ballintemple Ballymachugh Castlerahan Castleterra Crosserlough Denn Drumgoon Drumlane Drumlumman Drumreilly Drung Enniskeen Kilbride Kildallan Kildrumsherdan Killashandra Killinagh Killinkere Kilmore Kinawley Knockbride Larah Lavey Loughan or Castlekeeran Lurgan Moybolgue Mullagh Munterconnaught Scrabby Shercock Templeport Tomregan Urney